Friday, July 25, 2008

Literary Review

After my damning of 'Swimming with the Devilfish', I did read another non-poker related book whilst on my Holidays. This book must rate as probably one of (if not THE) best book I've ever read, entitled 'An Utterly Impartial History of Britain' by John O'Farrell it tells (as the title suggests) the History of Britain from 55BC up until 1945. I've always been very proud of being British but knew only little segments of our History, this book tells it all warts 'n' all, but adds in some excellent touches of humour along the way - I found myself laughing aloud at almost the turn of every page. I can't recommend this book highly enough, its brought to me a fascination to learn more about the history of this Great Nation of ours - I'm now saving to buy the David Scharma 'History of Britain' DVD's.
A couple of the facts it brought to my attention that I didn't know was horror bestowed upon the Irish Catholics by Oliver Cromwell, akin to latter day atrocities committed by Hitler against the Jews.
Also after reading this I would forward a challenger to Winston Churchill for 'Greatest Ever Britain' in the shape of David Lloyd George , what a great man.

No comments: